Hendriki origins et al

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 21 14:37:06 1998

Jeff Richard agrees with David Dunham on the Hyaloring triarchy. In case noone noticed, so do I.

>The Hyalorings are one of many bands of Orlanthi who left
>Kethaela to settle in the empty frontier lands of Dragon Pass.

I guess as a clan group prone to breed excellent horses, the increasing Malkioni influences in Heortland exerted more pressure on who was allowed to ride horses (and where) that they felt threatened. Or maybe their practice of mounted archery was banned?

>Runegate Fort appears to have been founded earlier than 1350 -
>my notes show that as of 1325-1335 it had a permanent population
>of about 150 people.

And fairly early, it is reckoned a market place in the western Quivini lands.

>Those bands that traveled to the west of the River encountered,
>well, Grazers and either were killed or enthralled.

Or chased east. Those who survived a massacre without being enthralled would flee away from the riders, and might have ended up in Sartar, founding the tradition of stickpickers and other low status folk.

Peter Metcalfe mentioned Orlanthi sun worshippers:

>The Berenethtelli were not "Orlanthi sun worshippers". In fact,
>there never were "solar Orlanthi" - not even during the Gbaji Wars.
>There were "old Orlanthi", followers of the "New Storm", and those
>enlightened mercenaries who decided to follow the new God of Light
>Daysenerus. None of these groups can rightfully be called "solar
>Orlanthi".

Why don't you call the followers of Daysenerus "solar Orlanthi"? Not solar, or not Orlanthi?

>Furthermore, there were Berenethtelli who survived the Theyalan
>Wars and even the Gbaji Wars. The most famous of them was Harmast
>- who was descended from the guy who lit a fire to the whole feud
>between the Heortlings and Lokamayadon.

Were they living in small exile groups tolerated by larger tribes in their lands? Did they have a permanent "guest settler" status among the tribes which sheltered them (i.e. didn't exterminate them)?

>Really the Theyalan Wars was more a fight between the old
>Heortlings and the followers of the new High Storm.

I.e. Lokamayadon vs. the Heortlings.

>The Berenethtelli did not become the Hendriki, although Joerg is
>right that many Berenethtelli did become Hendriki. But so did
>members of many other tribes following the Battle of Vanntar (397)
>- in fact the Hendriki were probably founded following that
>disasterous battle.

How did the Hendriki gain their name? Like the Pol Joni, derived from their founder?

What did Hendrik do in or around Vanntar to distinguish himself?

>>IMG I like to keep the number of - successful - resurrections
>>per year at less than 100 all over Old Sartar, making it a
>>noteworthy news-item, much like a case of murder or a serious
>>car accident nowadays.

>Actually, I suspect that it is a LOT less than that. Perhaps
>more like three or four resurrections per year, if that. Any
>resurrection is BIG news.

That's how I based my estimate. With about 100 resurrections per year, that's one for each two clans (Old Sartar: about 120,000 people; a clan: around 500-1000 people). Chalana Arroy healers are rare, but not that rare that the number of resurrections per tribe are reckoned by decades rather than years... And these resurrections wouldn't be evenly distributed, either. I guess that in Boldhome there would be 3 to 5 resurrections per season, simply because of the greater number of Chalana Arroy priestesses to be expected there. I don't expect mere initiates of CA to resurrect more often than once or twice in a lifetime, if that often.