Re: Heroquests and God Learners

From: Ivan Gatt <ivangatt_at_keyworld.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:25:51 +0200

Firstly, thanks for the reply. It was really appreciated. I do have some comments to add:

Trotsky wrote:

<<Wrong. Firstly, he (referring to Arkat) lived far too early.>>

And Michael Cule wrote:

<<No. For two reasons. Firstly, that Arkat came before the God-Learners
and they based some of their techniques on material stolen from the cult that Arkat left behind.>>

Granted, but as Michael writes, they based some (although IMO, I think most of what they have achieved was done through the insight given by the revelations of Arkat), of their techniques on what they stole from his cult. So in a way, he did pave the road for them, although not being one of them.

Trotsky wrote:

<< But he doesn't even qualify as a proto-God Learner, because he used
HeroQuesting for different purposes than they did. The God Learners tried to force the world into their rationalist Malkioni worldview, whether the universe wanted it or not.>>

And Nick Brooke wrote:

<< The God Learners nicked the secrets of creative heroquesting from Arkat.
Saying "Arkat was a God Learner" inverts this historical progression.

Logically, one could heroquest in a pre-Arkati manner (no creativity), or in
an Arkati, non-God Learner manner (creativity, but with respect and
humility), or in a God Learner manner (creative but "soul-less", sans
respect and humility), or in any other manner that mixes and matches the aforegoing. Likewise, a God Learner could even try to heroquest in an Arkati or a ritual manner... and so on.>>

So, if I am getting this right, it is not the fact that someone changes mythology that makes him a God-Learner, but the purpose behind it. It does not matter if the end result is the same, but it matters the reason behind it. Well, I tend not to agree with this. IMHO, the result on the nature and mythology of Glorantha are the same, whatever the reason behind it. Granted, it could be, like in most cases, for the good of everyone, but then again, it depends on perspectives. (Argrath quested for the return of Sheng Seleris -KoS, pages 32-33, and it was 'good' for the Orlanthi and their supporters, but 'bad' for the Lunar Empire).

Further Michael Cule wrote:

<< Secondly, the G-Ls had a secret (now *really*, *really*, *really*
lost-honest!)
and a technique (the RuneQuest Sight) arising from that secret which is now lost too. This made the spectacular changes they made in the God Plane much easier. No-one now knows why or how. >>

Thinking of this, an improbable and perhaps scandalous taught comes to my mind. What if the Gods are just God-Learner constructs, being the technique you are referring to? The God Learners needed something to help them channel this 'power' so they created the Gods as we came to know them. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think somewhere I read that the gods have been structured by the God Learners (or at least their mythology timeline), and I think I also read that the God-Learners had access directly to the Runes (which I assume are a kind of concentration of power). As for the gods 'existing' before the God-Learners, we know that creating gods (and mythology dating back before dawn, and therefore before them) can be done, and in a way is proved (Yelmalio cult might be an example). I know it is a far fetched idea, but....

Regards,

Ivan