re: lascerdans; nomadic slaves; Chalana Arroy; etc.

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:14:38 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> Lascerdans use to hunt Manatees or Manatee merfolk so I doubt that
> they are vegetarian.

I believe they used to *herd* manatees, though presumably they still ate them.

> However I'm inclined to make the Lascerdans crocodiloids which
> would fit their riverine associations. However there is the
> practice of slash-and-burn which I find difficult to reconcile
> with a riverine reptilian species.

They grew fodder for their manatees. They weren't necessarily any more riverine than humans. Having lascerdans sailing around in boats, unable to swim, is an amusing picture...

> Incidentally why were the Hyalorings forced into Dragon Pass by the
> Pharaoh's ascension when the Pharaoh is remembered for being a
> champion of Light who overthrewing the despotic dark rule of the
> Only Old One?

Makes you wonder about the Pharaoh, eh? Actually, the Only Old One was a pretty reasonable guy. NOBODY fled him for Dragon Pass. LOTS of people fled the Pharaoh. If the Pharaoh were really a champion of Light, why did he allow a "sixth" of his land to remain in Darkness?

The difference between the Pharaoh and Sartar is that the Pharaoh forced unity on his people, while Sartar built unity out of his people.

> >I'd find the Vendref who manage to
> >convince their Grazer lords to adapt to a fully sedentary life-style at
> >least as difficult to achieve, and more difficult to envision.

> Like the RW goths, frex?

Lots of RW nomads do in fact become sedentary when they become rich. But unlike the Pure Horse People, they don't lose all their magic when they do (note: they do lose some of it; other nomads think they've become soft, and in fact often can conquer them).

In fact, the Grazers do become rich and sedentary (thanks to their wealth in slaves), but this is a slow, careful process in which they keep as much of their lifestyle as possible. I for one believe they still live in tents which they occasionally move to keep up the pretense of being nomads. The Hyalorings, on the other hand, live in an immobile fort.

The Grazers didn't survive as long as they did by changing lifestyle whenever it was convenient. It might be useful to think of them like Hebrews, refusing any sort of flexibility.

On the subject of Kallyr's wedding: I do think that the FHQ (or FQ) symbolizes sovereignty: when a King of Dragon Pass marries her, he gains sovereignty over the whole land. However, it can also be viewed less mystically. When Sartar marries the FHQ, he unifies two bitter enemies (the Walkers and the Horse-Spawn). Kallyr could do the same by marrying the Grazer King, without some sort of Proxy weirdness.

> Queens Post lies a long away from the base of the Mountain

It was almost certainly Sartar's gift to the FHQ, her first trading post, so it could hardly exist when Arim showed up (which was also before there was a FHQ...).

Sergio wondered

> Why do nomads need male slaves?

To humiliate them. Not only did you defeat that hated impala rider, but you have such power over him that he has to serve you.

Robert McArthur suspects

> the number of Chalana Arroy rune priestesses is likely to me more
> than [100] over all Sartar (not to mention acolytes!)

There are (more or less) 24 tribes of Sartar (and that includes the Pol Joni). I don't think there are four full Healers per tribe, which would mean almost one per clan.

I think a limiting factor is not just the reusability of the magic, but its efficacy. We have lots of hints (if no game rules) that a resurrected person suffers a personality change (hmm, you could have rules for this in PenDragon Pass). These changes do not make people more like Healers, and thus Healers might not be happy resurrecting people, only to bring them back worse (and they're worse even with game rules, thanks to the stat/skill losses).

Richard Develyn worried

> I can think of three ways in which gods "appear" to be exercising free
> will.
>
> 1) The way they answer divination,
> 2) the way they grant DI,
> 3) the way they communicate through dreams.
>
> But they haven't free will (have they ?) so what's happening here?

  1. ANSWER. You have to ask them. Lack of free will doesn't mean they can't respond.
  2. GRANT. You have to ask them.
  3. If indeed they do, and this isn't just a cheap plot device. Also, it may be in their nature to communicate through dreams. This is really what the free will of the gods is about -- they have to act according to their natures. Orlanth can't just park a huge storm system over the Lunar Empire, because his nature is to have shifting winds.

Simon Bray

> d) In Fonritan mythology is Ernamorla related to the Hungry Goddess at all?

I think fertile Pamaltela doesn't need the sort of blood sacrifices that Genertela does, given that the land itself wasn't ravaged. Now, you know as much about Fonritan mythology as anyone, and you have blood sacrifices to Ernamorla. Perhaps she *is* the Hungry Goddess, but since she's of Pamaltela, her nice side shows up far more frequently than in the north.

> Delecti may have been the head of the 'Stitched Zoo' projects

If you'll be at Glorantha-Con VII, you can play in "Diet of Wyrms" and find out!

> in Kallai 'Ballista's' King Quest.

Kallai Rockbuster. Beti Leika Ballista.