Re:Doug Bailey's response to 3 small Qs re Gods and Free Will

From: Paul Wegner <wegner_at_mail.fpg.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:03:37 -0400

Doug writes about Richard's three q's about gods & free will:

Actually it's a bit like saying the Internet exercises free will by providing information: the truth is that the information is out there, but you can only reach it if you know the proper rituals (Netscape Navigator ritual, anyone?) and have the proper links (a computer wth a modem or network link for the real world, the initiate's sacrificed Power link in Glorantha).

<ahem> Hope that wasn't too geeky an analogy. :)

Good analogy! I was trying to come up with one but you beat me to it. Gods, like computers, will only answer the questions they are asked and may not give the answer you expected..

My only question is about gods contacting you through dreams. It seems that this is hard to explain if gods have no free will. I would guess that it is like writing a huge program (or some sort of Internet search) that takes such a long time to run, that you start it, you go to bed and the answer is returned while you are asleep. It either took the god some time to access the information (system busy) or it took him a long time to translate into something that a human would understand.

Paul W. Wegner