Secrets of the Black Spear

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:20:46 +0000

Another of those little things I noticed while looking up something totally different in KoS.

Remember the Black Spear of the Colymar? It was the sacred object of the early Colymar, until there was an argument over it. To quote p207, 'King Korlmar sent the spear into the wilderness, and swore that only thsoe who could "follow" it, as was done in the old days, would deserve to have it. He was among those who found it, and in the wilds those people swore a special oath whose contents are known only to them, and to the clan which was made to defend the secrets.' That sounds to me like it could be two groups of people, not one. One lot who had proved their right to have the Spear, and who swore the oath. Another lot who did not swear the oath, but knew what it was, and were told to defend "the secrets".

If so, could this second lot be the Starfires, "Keeper of Secrets"? We never did know what secrets those were.

Just to add to the confusion, the Black Spear Clan seem to have been given the "Orlkar Tribute" (paid by the Malani king) "to hide". Any ideas what that was? Just a lot of cash? surely not!

And what do the aurochs have to do with it? Argrath (brought up in the Starfire Ridges) is apparently able to use the Black Spear in battle because he had brought aurochs back to the land. Was that the secret?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/