Re: Thinking lizards

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:42:30 +0200

Sandy:

> iguana-like. There is a race of intelligent lizards in the East Isles
> that I picture as rather like a water monitor. They are confined to a
> single archipelago and are trying to make a comeback from
> near-extinction at the moment.

Yes, the Varanids! They are the original inhabitants of the island Sitoro in the Korola archipelago. They are man-eating carnivores. The workers and huge soldiers are semi-intelligent and the priest-kings are at least as smart as humans.

When the other Korolans finally united after countless generations of strife, they drove the varanids away. They now live on some hostile, barren islets. They have, however gone through a great change recently, turning from aggressive carnivores to meek vegetarians. In the process they have abandoned their old beast god and started worshipping the Plant Mother and the Seed Father.

In my former campaign they even volunteered to help the Korolans to banish the beast god from Sitoro if they were allowed to return to their old nesting ground.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/