Lhankhor Mhy, Issaries and the God Learners

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:31:45 -0700

Mike Cule writes:
>Well, we know that the G-Ls modified some cults (Chaladra and Aurelion)
and
>suspect that they modified others (Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries are the
biggest
>suspects) but I've never heard the suggestion that *all* the gods are G-L
>creations before.

The hypothesis that the GLers modified Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries has been pretty solidly rejected. The Seven Lightbringers were extent at the Dawn in a form (well except for whatever Gina Jar is) still recognizable in the Third Age. Now, this isn't to say that their social roles haven't changed from time to time or place to place - or that their worship hasn't changed over the centuries. This would not have been accomplished by the God Learners but by the Orlanthi themselves - a folk whose primary cultural center (southern Saird and Kerofinela) was not significantly influenced by the God Learners.

The "core attributes" of Issaries and Lhankhor Mhy were certainly not modified by the God Learners.

Given that the gods were definitely worshipped, experienced, whatever, from the point of view of the First Age pantheists, I find the idea that they were created by the Second Age God-Learners to be ridiculous. Otherwise, I echo the thoughts expressed by Nick.

Finally, what's wrong with role-playing farmers? Personally, I find Orlanthi carls to be the most enjoyable folk to role-play. Certainly more complex than mere mercenary adventurers. :)

Jeff