Resurrection, by the numbers.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:11:21 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Richard replies to Joerg:
> >Why don't you call the followers of Daysenerus "solar Orlanthi"? Not
> >solar, or not Orlanthi?

> Not Orlanthi. Not really traditional solar either.

For those of us not familiar with the source material being alluded to, I wish I could report this was an illuminating elucidation.

and to himself:
> >> Perhaps more like three or four resurrections per year, if that.
> >> Any resurrection is BIG news.

> I strongly believe that the resurrection of the departed is very rare
> and requires [...] the involvement of a Chalana Arroy healer in a heroquest

As the leading advocate of the "HQ isn't about Power Level, it's about myth" school of diatribe, Jeff, you surely ought to appreciate how little this tells us about the frequency of resurrections, or how "hard" they are to perform in a material sense.

Of course, I don't deny this is a perfectly valid rationale for making Resurrection perilously and prohibitively difficult, but it doesn't _require_ this, by any means. "Let the buggers die" is an admirable sentiment (just starting up a new Pendragon game, and I think I will translate this into (dog) Latin, and emblazon it someplace prominent, such as the players' forebrains), but one should be clear that this is the object of such a policy, not the inadvertant, but necessary, sideeffect  of being Strictly Mythic.

Mind you, I'm betting on The New Game being a lot more point-pinching than RQ in resurrection, and healing generally, given Greggly noises of recent years.

Slainte,
Alex.