Pharaonic Despotism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:35:52 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

This is a completed version of a post that was somehow (despite my wishes) sent prematurely. My apologies for the inconvenience.

>> Incidentally why were the Hyalorings forced into Dragon Pass by the
>> Pharaoh's ascension when the Pharaoh is remembered for being a
>> champion of Light who overthrewing the despotic dark rule of the
>> Only Old One?

>Makes you wonder about the Pharaoh, eh? Actually, the Only Old One was a
>pretty reasonable guy. NOBODY fled him for Dragon Pass.

Where was there to flee? The crossline was still in effect...

>LOTS of people fled the Pharaoh.

I'm unaware of any Esrolian or Caladralander migrations. The Heortling Migrations into Dragon Pass appear to be fueled in part by land hunger. The Pharaonic government would have followed but he had limited himself by a treaty with Ironhoof.

>If the Pharaoh were really a champion of Light, why did he
>allow a "sixth" of his land to remain in Darkness?

That 'sixth' is composed of trolls who can worship nothing else but darkness. What the Pharaoh did was to depose the trolls from their dominant position.