Maran Gor in Fonrit.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:22:27 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Bray:

>2) In the Fonrit write ups it says that Mondoro is a land of earthquakes,
>strange and unnatural geographical formations and that they worship the
>'Hungry Goddess'. This particular deity is served by a Eunuch high priest
>and demands sacrifices every 33 days. This also sounds like a Maran Gor
>variant.

I was under the impression that the Goddess was a variation of Gorgorma as the male priest is a eunuch. But the Hungry Goddess is a face of the Malign Earth and one can easily say that Maran Gor and Gorgorma are variants of the Hungry Goddess. Furthermore only one city in Mondoro claims the Hungry Goddess as Patron.

>a) Is is Maran Gor that the Kimos folk worship or just a goddess like her?
>A GL interpretation?

A goddess just like her IMO.

>b) When Garangordos invaded Fonrit from Laskal was he supported by Kimos
>folk, who then later settled in Mondoro and made it what it is today? Or
>was their a native Earthquake/Bloody Earth goddess transplanted from Laskal
>or discovered in Mondoro?

The Kimotans speak a wholely distinct language from most Fonritans and are confined to the region of Thinokos. The Mondorans speak a dialect of Fonritan which is stated to have the strongest aboriginal influences (ie of the Veldang Empire).

Thus I don't think the Hungry Goddess comes from Kimos and furthermore I note that the Maran Gor cult writeup states that _one_ powerful tribe holds her as a patron.

>c) Is Lokomal a generic Dinosaur Mother, for all the cultures that come
>into contact with the Doraddi? Is the religion originally from Slon or
>Tarien?

Jaskal is the God of Dinosaurs in Slon so I guess Tarien or even Wongarasi is more probable.