resurrection

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:56:02 +1000 (EST)

Joerg:
> That's how I based my estimate. With about 100 resurrections per year,
> that's one for each two clans (Old Sartar: about 120,000 people; a clan:
> around 500-1000 people). Chalana Arroy healers are rare, but not that
> rare that the number of resurrections per tribe are reckoned by decades
> rather than years... And these resurrections wouldn't be evenly
> distributed, either. I guess that in Boldhome there would be 3 to 5
> resurrections per season, simply because of the greater number of
> Chalana Arroy priestesses to be expected there. I don't expect mere
> initiates of CA to resurrect more often than once or twice in a
> lifetime, if that often.

The possibilities that resurrection offer the society are huge. Well, actually, it is what they offer the individuals that count. Any powerful family is going to want to have a CA acolyte or higher near, if not always with, them. Children will be pushed into CA 'convents' at a young age, to serve their masters when they 'come out'. OK, this is likely not the way it works in the small steads of backward Sartar, but move into the more 'modern' and urbanised areas and societies, and I'll bet this happens. It even has the advantage that only stupid Humakti may want to off your prized healer, as the relgious results of killing a rival's healer are probably not worth the small advantages in depriving the rival (of course,if you are about to kill the rival then judicious kidnappings for 7 days, or accidental teleporting a weeks ride away may happen).

Even if resurrection turns out to be very difficult - in the order of a minor heroquest - the benefits make it worth it to those with the money and power. So what if you had to pay for ten acolyte's education & training so that one of them may succeed. When the time comes, it's the success that matters! This means, of course, that it's a rich-person's game.

You can bet that the CA milk this for all it's worth (again, remember the urbanised setting only for this discussion). Benefactors galore, new hospitals etc. Really, it only the good fortune of chaos that has kept the healer population and power in check ;-) The CA bear this with what they do with their time, power, magic and money for the poorer members (remember Teelo Nori? CA is probably the equivalent in those societies under Orlanth & Co.).

Cheers
Robert McArthur

PS. Think how people would be treated and act in *our* society if they could resurrect, since it is (effectively) available to anyone meeting the requirements of becoming an acolyte - or even initiate!