Re: The Sealing of Pavis

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:41:20 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:

Me:
>> Maybe, but IMO one of the main reasons why nobody entered Pavis for >> some centuries was that there was nobody interested in doing it.

Peter:
> Not so. The nomads attempted to enter Pavis during the Troll
> Domination but a particularly nasty curse put paid to their
> aspirations. There was also a sizable population near Pavis since
> 1492 that was unable to enter the rubble until the 'newts dream.

>> But, from the POV of the nomads, it would be senseless to attempt to >> enter Pavis: why open a wasp's nest when *they* succeded to close it?

> They didn't want to close it down. They wanted to _loot_ it.

I think our views are not incompatible. The way I see it is the next: - - From a nomad POV, Pavis is an oddity that shouldn't be there in the first place.
- - For most of them it's good that it's closed. They can live their normal lifes without having to think about it. They can ignore it. - - For the bolder nomads Pavis is a temptation, the way you mention. But I think they were a minority most of the time. - - for most of the third era the nomads had plenty of things to do elsewhere.

Notice that I was not saying that the Pavis could be entred freely: It couldn't because of dwarf and troll magic. To break that magic it would be needed an even stronger magic. I think that the nomads never were able (or achieved the unity) to do it. On what concerns the City of Thieves, I don't think that this loose grouping of disparate people could do it either.

IMO, if the dragonewts didn't open Pavis in 1539, it would be opened in the 1600's by the lunars.

Sergio