Orlkar tribute

From: JeffJErwin <JeffJErwin_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:19:41 EDT

Jane Williams wrote:

<<Just to add to the confusion, the Black Spear Clan seem to have been given the "Orlkar Tribute" (paid by the Malani king) "to hide". Any ideas what that was? Just a lot of cash? surely not!

Any one notice that the prefix Orl- is there? It also is in many names. I suspect that Orlanth is really Orl-anth, too. Perhaps it has a special meaning?
I suggest that Orlkar is one of two things: a weregild or a straight tribute. Orlkar is probably the name of the warrior who caused it to happen. A magic item or something? But if cash was hoarded as among the early Britons, it would suprise me if a pot of wheels was the tribute.

Jeff Erwin