Re: 3 questions on Free Will (and Humakt)

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:25:40 +0100

First re Humakt:

I have, BTW, read through a lot of the old posts, so I hope I'm not re-treading recent ground.

I wondered why Humakti did not oppose resurrection in others. Then I found I couldn't figure out whether they opposed undead and why?

Sure, they don't want to become undead, or resurrected, but why do they care what happens to other people?

Next re Free Will:

One thing about gods and free will, BTW, here's a little theory:

What would happen to sun worship, on Earth or Glorantha, if one day it didn't bother rising, rose late, or appeared coloured blue? I think a lot of worshippers would give up and go worship something more predictable.

ISTM that clarity and consistency are important in establishing worshippers, and become more important the more worshippers you want to keep.

So I think Gods sacrifice their free will in order simplify, and therefore broaden, their appeal. If Humakt answered a DI call to resurrect someone (and word got out) then it would severely shake Humakti faith. So he ain't gonna do it - even if he could.

I think gods have to do what we expect them to do - or they cease to become our gods. Actually I think this is true of any leader.

If you take that argument, that the lack of free will is due to a choice to behave consistently, then I answer my own 3 questions about Gods and Free Will. In particular, a god will send out a dream to you because (were you in full possession of the facts) that is what you would expect him to do in the circumstances. In other words, he HAD to send you that dream, he HAD to answer your DI call and divination in that particular way, because anything else wouldn't have felt like it was him (or her).

Richard
- --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com