re: dice; slaves; migrations; gods

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:15:32 -0800

Trotsky wrote

> The best gaming sessions
> I have been in have generally been the ones with the least dice rolling

I don't know, there was the time I rolled a 3, which pretty much took over the rest of the evening, and the repercussions of which still haven't ended.

We've all been forgetting the number one reason Praxians take slaves: to sell to the Morokanth.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> >LOTS of people fled the Pharaoh.
>
> I'm unaware of any Esrolian or Caladralander migrations.

Caladraland has no border with Dragon Pass, and for all we know, some of them may have fled west. I've always felt that many of the vendref are of Esrolian origin -- Esrolia borders western Dragon Pass, and the Grazers maintained domination there. Esrolia certainly made no successful forays north, but this doesn't mean nobody tried.

Richard Develyn

> Where the gods seem to be more proactive, as with dreams

I'm still not convinced that they are; I don't recall anything in King of Sartar about dreams. There is of course Gaumata's Vision, but that's a scenario, hence a plot device. And the vision doesn't have to come from a god, perhaps a concerned spirit could do it.

Furthermore, given that the Orlanthi are prone to interpret everything as an act of the gods, they'll do the same with dreams. Doesn't necessarily mean the dreams are sent by the gods.

> The great compromise was put together to fight chaos

It was put together so the world didn't unravel again -- chaos was already pretty much fought by that point.

In any case, the Compromise is but one way of explaining why gods don't walk the earth any more. I'm sure non-Theyalans all have different explanations for why this is so. (We know the Dara Happans have no Compromise myths.)