RE: City Spirits

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:58:33 +0100

Philip Hibbs:
>> After all, shamans are always searching for good spirit hunting grounds.
>
> But seriously, I don't see this. Why would a shaman want to go to a place
> that is defended by spirits that are dedicated to doing that only? He
can't
> use them to store spells or MP, he can't learn powers from them, and he
> can't send them out to attack people. The most he could do is maybe learn
> a bit of history from them, so maybe the LM would be interested, but not
> shaman.

The problem with your argument Philip is that it's strongly connected to the way RQ represents spirits and shamanism. In RQ spirits are like specialized objects. This is very unfortunate. So, what can a shaman do with such a spirit? If qe think in terms of game rules, it will be up to the future G:tG to answer that question. If we think in terms of role play, you said it all: the spirit can transmit "a bit of history". IMO, that's the core of Glorantha, that's why I keep coming back to the Digest.

Sergio