XU resurrection?

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:37:13 -0700

Mikko, as a side note...

        As for the other cults who are reputed to be capable of resurrection:

        Xiola Umbar; whose cult is quite shamanistic, as troll cults generally

        are. I think Xiola Umbar priestesses are only capable of bringing back

	trolls, using their kinship ties. Of course they wouldn't even be
	interested in resurrecting anything else.

I don't have any books with me to check, so I'm just running on intuition here, but I would be more likely to play XU as only resurrecting NON-trolls... for several reasons:

  1. Resurrection pisses off the KL Priestess -- not only does it point out that the "weak and pathetic" XU priestess has powers beyond the ken of "mighty" KL, but it denies them a really spiff meal. ( and yet another spirit to store MP in ;-) 1a) The KL Matriarchy would most likely prefer to see the XU use their resources to Heal the survivors to full strength, than bring back the
    (weak/unlucky) at greatly reduced strength.
    1c) Is the eldest daughter REALLY going to want mom resurrected, just when she is Finally going to be Queen? (alternately, is mom REALLY going to want that ungrateful bitch of a daughter brought back to steal the loyalty of the grandkids?)
  2. XU has a strong focus on repairing the damage done by ZZ. I suspect that what resurrections are performed would be primarily on victims of ZZi.
    (and well away from the pragmatic Mothers)
  3. Most trolls would be mighty unhapppy about being resurrected. Death is their escape from the pain and toil of the Hurtplace. Returning to the agony of life (especially with signifigant stat loss) would be utterly unbearable. Most trolls powerfull enough to demand ressurrection would either know how to get out of hell on their own (Hero Path) or would have enough children and power to be ready to retire to wonderhome anyhoo.

There could be some demand for resurrection of favored sons/husbands, but the physical and spiritual cost is probably way more offensive to the Uz than it is to humans, and the poor fellah is unlikely to remain a favorite after being brought back...

danm