Re: Humakt; Seshnela

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:55:43 +0100

Richard wonders:

> I wondered why Humakti did not oppose resurrection in others.

Some do. See the recent Lead Cross discussion.

> Then I found I couldn't figure out whether they opposed undead and why?
> Sure, they don't want to become undead, or resurrected, but why do they
> care what happens to other people?

Humakt is Death. Anything that turns Death into a travesty, mocks Humakt. And Humakti have a very, *very* well-developed sense of honour (and the accompanying poor sense of humour, sensitivity to mockery, etc.)...

> What would happen to sun worship, on Earth or Glorantha, if one day it
> didn't bother rising, rose late, or appeared coloured blue?

Remember the Sunstop?

Brian Newman asks:

> They're starting out around Seshnela/Safelster! I know very little about
> this area of the world except what's in AH's Glorantha-related materials.

Not a lot more is known. If you can get a copy of our old "Sog City Guidebook", and issue #13 of "Tales of the Reaching Moon" (the Western Special, with the full write-up of the Holy Rokari Church), and skim the Malkioni stuff on my website (URL below), and follow its links to our collected Splintered Sects on Loren's page, and ask some good informed questions here on the Daily, you'll be as well equipped to game here as anyone. If you can't, just keep asking questions anyway and we'll take it from there.

As for "upcoming major events", IMO a potentially major driver for a Seshnelan campaign would be the ongoing confrontation between King Guilmarn and Pope Theoblanc. This stands to nicely factionalise the kingdom -- does a pious knight go against his bishop? does a reclusive hermit support a power-hungry Ecclesiarch? -- and can generate lots of adventuring potential (what does your lord think he and you should be doing?).

You also get spin-offs like the launch of the Inquisition against the Flagellants, the Whyte Wyzards (kinda Rokari puritans) denouncing the corruption of the Church, and other fun symptoms of a sick society in social and religious turmoil.

That's aside from the imminent return of the Waertagi (ominous), the Vadeli (bad), the Brithini (very bad), the Arkats (can't get much worse); dark Stygian heresies spreading from the festering Port of Nolos, Wolf Piracy, the rebirth of the Serpent Kings, false prophets, hideous saints, and everything else that heralds the end of the Third Age in Seshnela.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #553