Resurrection

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:06:26 +0100

Robert McArthur says :

>Even if resurrection turns out to be very difficult - in the order of a

>minor heroquest - the benefits make it worth it to those with the money
and
>power. So what if you had to pay for ten acolyte's education &
training so
>that one of them may succeed. When the time comes, it's the success
that
>matters! This means, of course, that it's a rich-person's game.

I wonder just how common CA priestesses with resurection are in orlanthi

society.

The usual ratio of priests to laymen that I have come across is about 2%

of the population. In Orlanthi lands say 8/10ths of these worship Orlanth, Ernalda, Barntar, Heler, etc. Of the remaining 0.4% of the population, lets divide them equaly between Chalana Arroy, Lankor Mhy, Issaries and Humakt. That leaves 0.1% of the population in the CA cult, or one person in a thousand. If Old Sartar has a population 0f 120,000 people, the there are approximately 120 CA priestesses in Old Sartar. I imagine there are actualy a few more, perhaps double at most.

I can't see the average CA priestess performing as many as one resurrection a year - more like one every 5 years. That would mean about

24 resurrections in Old Sartar per year.

Resurrection is a dangerous business. The people you most want to be able to ressurect are going to be the most difficult to beat in the spirit combat - priests, runelords and so on. Many of them may have spirit combat enhancing magic and allied spirits. Unassisted, the CA healer may well have much less than a 50% chance of success. Even resurrecting an innitiate with a point of Spirit Block or a few points of Spirit Shield is non-trivial, and the healers may not have any clear idea what they're up against. Do your characters routinely teel all their friends exactly what spirit spells and remaining rune magic they've got?

Simon Hibbs