Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #553

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:45:01 +0100

Ian Thomson says :

>I like rolling dice
>
>it IS that gambling aspect that adds what i call 'pseudo-realism'

But I don't roleplay to simulate real life. I roleplay to simulate fiction.

Can you imagine Shakespear rolling dice to decide the outcome of the combat at the end of Hamlet? Or matching the potency of the poison against the character's CON stats? It depends entirely on what you're trying to achieve.

Roleplaying works differently to the creative process that produced the works of Shakespear, or Tolkien, or Moorcock, but those differences I believe can produce stories at least as complex, poignant and dramatic.

Simon Hibbs