Dreams, resurrection, dice

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:22:18 +0200

Joerg:

> IMO dreams are one way to enter Godtime, to use the computer-analogue
> "in protected mode" (usually).

Yes! The land of dreams definitely has a connection to the world of the gods. In the East Isles they say that Thella's Net binds the islands together in the Nowtime, while the otherworld remains in the Dreamtime. I.e. dreams _are_ trips into the mythic world.

Resurrection

In the East Isles, Thella the goddess of dawn provides resurrection. She is also a goddess of fate, so she knows if it was really a person's destiny to die at a particular time or not.

Dice

While I generally prefer low-dice/no-dice approaches, there is one thing to say in the defense of the polyhedra.  They enable you to play out characters which are very different from yourself. If my character has a high skill in Orate, Seduce, Fast talk and similar social skills, he has a chance to succeed in these even though _I_ as a person is totally worthless at such activities. If I could only rely on my own powers of persuasion in a gaming situation I could never play a diplomat, con man or casanova.

That said, I think Everway's mechanism of symbolic interpretation of a draw of cards often yields better results than purely random dice.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/