Origin of the modern Hyalorings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:00:29 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

Me>> And I believe that I have stated that the Grazers who became part
>> of the Hyalorings were discontent with their old rigid lifestyle.
>> Thus they have no need to keep up the pretense of being nomads or
>> adhering to ancient traditions.

>Then why would they continue to worship Hyalor, founder of these ancient
>traditions (in their mythical background)?

Why do the Modern Pentan Tribes still worship the Sun even after they've junked their ancient horse-only taboos? Why was Martin still a christian after he junked popish customs? The junked traditions were seen as unnecessary to their way of life. But it does not follow that they should discard all such traditions.

>I agree that Grazer discontents would have preferred to join the
>Hyaloring Triarchy rather than any other Quivini group, if any (before
>the Pol Joni became available).

Well I don't because IMO the heortling clans who made up the Hyaloring Triaty did not know of Hyalor before they met the soon-to-be-kindred Grazers.

DD>>>The Grazers didn't survive as long as they did by changing lifestyle
>>>whenever it was convenient.

Me>> So why did some defect to the Pol Joni then?

>Because Derek Pol Joni offered them a return to the purely nomadic way
>of life. To my knowledge no Pol Joni is required to eat cattle, so it
>might even be possible to remain somewhat true to the Pure Horse way
>(though it is expensive in horse herds, I suppose).

Keeping in mind that the Pol Joni are Orlanthi, you are seriously suggesting that the Pure Horse People would abandon their own _god_ in favour of some ideal pure horse lifestyle? I do not believe that nomadic minds would work that way.

>Likewise, remnants
>of the Zebra tribe found an opportunity to cling to their traditions
>among the Pol Joni.

I very much doubt this. The Zebra tribe have accepted the covenant of Waha so they have no need for a pure-horse lifestyle.

>IMO the 2nd Age Pure Horse People of Prax
>were happy to raid and eat other Praxians' herd beasts.

A bit difficult when the said 'other Praxians' had been kicked out of Prax...

>> The rigidity of a lifestyle may help a minoritiy preserve its
>> identity over time _but_ it also ensures that a sizable fraction
>> of that minority every year is going to defect to the mainstream.

>Which keeps the minority small but going - at some point the fraction
>defecting will be small enough to skip years, then generations.

So? According to KoS, that there was a sizable fraction of Grazers (the Wanderers) who left the Tribe before others entered Dragon Pass. Hence attempting to disprove that Grazers cannot defect because they have been around for at least one millenia is flawed IMO.

>Fact is that even though quite a lot of hebrews adopted foreign
>cultures, there still are orthodox jews sticking closely to a life-style
>rooted in the scriptures.

What influence do they have with the Hebrews that took up foreign or local customs? By extension, what influence would the Grazers have on their kin who mixed in with the Orlanthi? AFAIK none.

>And a lot of these took the opportunity to
>"return" into the land of their forefathers, taking their chances in
>a(nother) hostile environment.

I think you will find that the majority of Jewish Settlers in Palestine were secular nationalists rather than devout orthodox.