God Learners (addendum)

From: Richard Develyn <richard_at_skaro.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:42:51 +0100

Sorry to follow up on this so soon (before anyone's really had a chance to answer me), but I was a little worried about part of my God Learner Secret argument and I wanted make an addendum.

Concerning the issue GOD predominates MANIFESTATION - or that a manifestation only exists as a result of the presence of a god as determined by the worship of that god. This sounds a bit too cut and dried to me.

I prefer to think that the edges of god worship are fuzzy thanks to a sort of worship quantum theory.

For example: the sun shines brightest in centres of sun worship. As you move away, and the number of worshippers decreases, the brightness of the sun dims. When you get to areas where there are no sun worshippers at all, there is still potential for sun worship, thanks to the proximity of sun worshippers, so the sun is still there, but dimmer still.

In quantum terms there is still a probability of sun worship, and this is enough to ensure presence of the god via his manifestations (albeit very weakly). It may be that, like quantum physics, this probability never completely disappears, which means the manifestation is never completely gone as long as the associated god continues to exist.

So in my desert island, you can still see the sun, though how bright it is will depend on how far away you are from a centre of sun worship (and how strong that centre is). In a land where nobody worships any god associated with death, there is still a chance that death might happen, because the death manifestation is still there (though it may be weak).

Where manifestation cannot be measured by degree, you have to consider the probabilities. For instance if in this land nobody has ever heard of undead either, a weak undead manifestation could mean that one day a wraith just manifests itself out of nowhere!

Similar phenomena are predicted by quantum physics in our own world.

Cheers

Richard
Richard Develyn (http://www.skaro.demon.co.uk)