Re: God Learners and their Secret

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 19:36:44 EDT

> From: Richard Develyn <richard_at_skaro.demon.co.uk>
  . . . > Gods only exist if sentient creatures worship > them.

Assuming that they do, even then. The Brithini and Rokari would disagree with this (except that some would say that there are huge spirits that people CALL gods, just as someone colorblind might call green grey). In the East, the attitude is more "so what if there ARE gods (which we aren't so certain about), anyway?".

> If we use God Learner Runic classification, then there seem to be two
> concepts between runes and gods: ownership and association. Looking just
> at association, I believe that the manifestation is wholly accounted for
> by worship of associated gods. In other words, death, for example, only
> exists within the worship-space of all the death-rune associated gods.
> Anywhere where this isn't happening, nobody dies!

Wrong. Dying happens and death exists. Whether this is because Humakt used the Original Death on Grandfather Mortal, or because all complex systems decay over time, or because there are evil sorcerors casting malign magic at every thing and everyone, is declared to be an unsolvable question on the order of the exact momentum and position of an object in our Universe. Otherwise, the various Points of View of Creation would not all be valid.

> Imagine an island full of atheists* and no outside contact. Do they
> experience death, disease, wind (you know what I mean), do they even see
> the sun in the sky? I reckon not.

Yes, they experience them. No, they don't bother worshipping them, although they might have made mutual assistance pacts with powers or spirits related to their use. BTW, welcome to Old Brithos.

> 2) GOD predominates MANIFESTATION.

Again, this is fallacious because it assumes only Theistic theories are even accurate, let alone correct. Atheists can manipulate Power and use it for their own purposes, without any Gods (just ask them). So can Mystics, and shamans (although if a shaman uses what others sometimes call gods he has a bigger hammer).

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #562