Atheists in Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:34:32 +1200 (NZST)

Richard Develyn:

>Imagine an island full of atheists* and no outside contact. Do they
>experience death, disease, wind (you know what I mean), do they even see
>the sun in the sky?

Yup. Atheists exist in Glorantha. The Brithini and the Vadeli are notorious atheists and the Malkioni are only marginally better. Many educated Malkioni see the Sun as merely a Glowing Ball of Fire and deny the existance of Gods. Despite this, they see the sun in the sky.

>I think ownership of a rune extends this by saying that one particular
>god is essential in allowing the manifestation to take place anywhere.

Nonsense. The Runes are descriptive, not prescriptive. If a manifestation exists in glorantha then there will be a rune to describe it.