re: resurrection; morokanth; rings

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 11:49:44 -0800

Joerg Baumgartner wrote

> to take a real world analogue, when I studied chemistry, we had an average
> of 90 students per year (reckoning an average of 6 years studies, including
> slow students and graduating students) and about a dozen full priests, err,
> professors supported by about twice that number experienced acolytes, err,
> post-docs, and maybe fifty or so favoured initiates (phd students).

But this is not a good model for the worshipper : priest ratio because it's a training facility, not the real world. Those dozen full priests in fact supported 90 students over their career, or perhaps 1800 students (assuming 20 years of teaching). That's less than 1% priests.

Of course, all of this analysis is really begging the question, which is: do you want to resurrect player characters? This is really a decision that you simply make and then back up with whatever rationale you want. The numbers are fine for the prevalence of resurrection in the population at large, but if it fits your campaign needs to kill PCs and then resurrect them, then they get resurrected. (My first RQ GM was pretty lenient, but even so, getting killed was traumatic.)

> >> Well, Theya isn't exactly healer material, is she?
> >Sure she is -- she has more Heal Body spells than anyone else in the
> >Varmandi clan.
> So what does she do when a disease strikes?

Uses her Chirurgery skill, of course.

> >Besides, the LBQ isn't a resurrection quest.
> To the CA cult, its the quest of combating death.

I repeat: most heroquests have multiple viewpoints. To a CA, the Lightbringer's Quest could just as easily be about healing the world (which is not at all resurrection or even combatting death).

Allen Wallace wondered

> You mentioned selling slaves to the Morokanth. Am I reading too much into
> this or are you hinting that in your game the Morokanth man herds aren't
> animals (fixed Int)?

While I think I did forget that most Praxians don't sell slaves to Morokanth, I believe the Morokanth are always willing to buy. Who wouldn't want one or two special animals in one's herd, able to tie knots, guard their fellows, etc.? (Clearly most of the Morokanth herds are herd men, because it's too difficult to feed the smart ones.)

Besides, this is a great threat to hold over people -- the aforementioned first RQ GM used it quite effectively. It keeps PCs alive for possible rescue, but rubs in their loss.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> Umath does not have a Ring but a Camp

Good point -- Orlanth made the first Ring. The story will be in Enclosure 2.