Vendref

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:54:01 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner

[The background to this is over the alleged Esrolian migrations into the Grazelands as a result of the Pharaoh taking over. Since the population of the Vendref is low compared to the Esrolians and the Sartarites, it would seem that Esrolia was not too upset by the Pharaoh taking over. Joerg OTOH claimed that the Grazers killed off any immigrants]

Me>>Doesn't look like it according to p112 of KoS. Once the people were
>>subjugated then the Grazers were quite happy to lord over them.

>Ok. Under Hendroste Goldhand, all intruders were enslaved. Doesn't mean that
>they were allowed to till the land, though, but that they became menial
>servants of the nomads.

If they weren't allowed to till the land then what good are they for? Besides KoS explicitly mentions Ernalda as a Vendref diety and one who 'allows herself to be cut with plows' KoS p109.

Furthermore:

        'The Vendref did not suffer under the Grazer's rule, once
        they had submitted.  [...] and some chiefs actually recognized
        and appreciated the value of regular grain supplies'
                                        KoS p112

Lastly the Grazers are not stupid. They've lorded it over the Oasis Folk in their time not so long ago and have tales about when they were Princes in Pavis. So why should they get their knickers in a twist if some slaves grow grain for their benefit?

>>I fail to see how you can extend Esrolite influence into this
>>region. As of 1605, the Esrolians were as far away as the
>>site of the Building Wall.

>As of 1605, the Grazers have long since stopped keeping north of the
>Crossline. The lands to the south have become their favourite raiding
>ground, and like the Pelorians in the Redlands the Esrolites have pulled
>back their border to create a no man's land between themselves and the
>Grazers.

Given that Belintar is now on the throne of the Holy Country, one would have thought that he would have taken a stand against the Grazers moving into his lands. Furthermore I would have expected some record of this in the Grazer Kings List. Moreover I fail to see how the Esrolians can 'pull back' their border given that their land is densely populated. There isn't any room to resettle the inhabitants of that land within Esrolia proper.

>>After Dragon Pass was opened, the
>>Map in Uz lore p33 indicates that the Grazers extended their
>>influence over the Crossline up to the region of the Building
>>Wall. Hence I find it doubtful that there were any Esrolians
>>north of the Arkat's Hold and New Crystal City before this.

>Au contraire, IMO the Grazers started to raid these lands, and bled the
>farmers dry.

And the Pharaoh stood by and did nothing while the Grazers exterminated the Esrolians between the Crossline and the Lysos River? I don't think so.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #567