Rulesy Crystals

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:58:24 GMT

"Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk> he say:

> I was re-reading the RQ3 rules the other day, and I realised that the *only*
> thing that can be done with a magic point matrix, crystal, or POW spirit is
> to power spells.

Yup. Dead right.

> You cannot top up your own MPs with it, and cannot draw
> from it during spirit combat.

No. But if your PCs have been accumulating the damn things for years (as mine have) then they seldom have to dip into their own MPs. ("Pass the sorcerer your POW spirit binding: I need another Damage Boosting....")

> This makes the Resurrection spell a much more
> daunting prospect for the caster, and makes spirit combat in general a real
> problem for anyone.

If you're not tough in the POW you shouldn't be trying either of these activities.

> Does this represent Gloranthan reality (IYO)? Do you enforce it?

You bet.

> I know most
> people don't allow drawing of MPs into one's person, but I (and IMEx most)
> normally allow them to be used as spirit combat reserves.
>
> Unless I've missed an obscure rule, of course.

I think you've missed the other kinds of crystal detailed in ELDER SECRETS. These include crystals that boost defense against magical and spirit attacks and other fun things. They are riskier to use than ordinary storage crystals.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.