Re: storm gods

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:55:14 -0800

Richard Develyn

> If you're saying, and _know_, not just saying, that in a land thousands
> of miles away from _any_ storm worship whatsoever, there are mountains
> with hurricane winds blowing in them, then my theory doesn't fit.
>
> At the same time, teleport a Storm God worshipper there, and he's going
> to realise that there is little correlation between Storms and his Storm
> God.

Or he may have the ephiphany that all storm gods are really Orlanth.

Or he realizes, wow, Orlanth is so great that the wind is strong even this far from his worshippers. What a great god! (Alternately, Orlanth has followed me here. What a great god!)

Don't make the mistake of confusing cult and deity. Orlanth is worshipped differently in Ralios and Dragon Pass -- heck, any two Dragon Pass clans probably worship him differently. But he's the same god.

> Same thing would happen if a Malia worshipper was teleported into the
> middle of a huge plague, and there's no Malia presence there in any form
> (or it's a very weak presence). Or, if you say Malia is just a name of
> the Disease Goddess, there is no Disease Goddess worship anywhere in the
> vicinity. It disproves the statement that the Disease Goddess is the
> mother of disease, and breaks the theistic argument.

In what sense is a huge plague NOT a manifestation of Malia? Surely this proves that the Disease Goddess is greater than any of her worshippers, and doesn't need them. (Or at least not the humans -- she could receive worship from disease spirits, after all.)

> Scientists can't disprove theists the way they can here. They
> have to _share_ idea-space, theorem-space, whatever we care to call it.
> Where there is a conflict, there must be compromise.

And Protestants can't disprove Catholics. It certainly doesn't mean there must be a sharing of idea-space of a compromise. You're dealing with two closed belief systems here -- scientists have faith that the scientific method can explain everything.