Re: More Witch Talk

From: Mikael Raaterova <amr_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:46:09 +0200

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener

>In the revision, I plan to present an 'Option II'. There
>would be two spells in this approach; the first would be something like
>'Become Garangi', which would allow the caster to become voluntarily
>Chaotic. The spell would also allow them to deceive Storm Bull senses.
>Accuse Witch would then become a spell of identification, which would
>reveal the nature of the witch for all to see.
>Whatcha think about that?

Even sillier.

Who would ever voluntarily want to become chaotic, except the hopelessly insane and those that plan on getting chaotic features but don't want to have stormbullers spoil the fun?

Having a spell that deceives Sense Chaos would be an immediate hit with chaotic groups like krarshti and thanatari if they knew about it. Since at least the garangi themselves know and teach 'Become Garangi' (and one wonders whence the power originates) and we can assume that if garangi hang out with other chaotics, even if only occasionally, knowledge of the spell would eventually reach the krarshti and thanatari? Since they'd jump on the slightest chance of thumbing their nose at stormbullers they'd all want to Become Garangi. Some of them would become garangi and we'd have to assume a possibly great number of chaotics walking around frinstance in Pavis that can't be detected as chaotic. The chance of them being Accused as Witches by a passing Khan is slim indeed.

Re: Getting to the Heart of the Matter

>>Are you saying that since praxian culture is strongly opposed to chaos and
>>defined by that opposition, a praxian can make a person chaotic by strongly
>>opposing that person?
>
>This is close to what I am saying.

>Because Praxian culture is dependent on the
>opposition with Chaos, that which they oppose can be made Chaotic.

Oh dear. The obvious implication of this is that some of the people that praxians oppose do become chaotic. Why hasn't Pavis sprouted a tentacle yet? How come we don't hear about *any* pentan raiders exploding upon death? How come we don't see *any* Pol Joni braves with three legs? Is it because praxians don't really oppose them, or is it because you are wrong?

>Why? Well, because it makes sense to me, in a kind of poetic way.
>And that is all the defense I can give you.

If your belief was true, then *some* non-chaotic enemies of the praxians during the last 1600 years must have turned chaotic due to praxian opposition. Has this ever happened? Can you find any shred of evidence of this in the Gloranthan corpus? If not, then your belief doesn't make Gloranthan sense, even in a poetic sense.

Praxian culture may be the *effect* of chaos and dependent upon the presence of chaos to maintain the institutions of praxian culture. But the *cause* of chaos? The mind boggles.