Orlanthing atoms

From: Mikael Raaterova <amr_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:36:07 +0200

Joerg says
>IMO the atom of Orlanthi social structure is the individual, and the
>basic unit is the hearth, followed by the stead/village over-unit within
>the clan. At least the stead level is how economics work in Orlanthi
>society, and society and economics usually are interwoven.

What do you mean with 'interwoven'? Sure, every society has an economy, but the economy is not contained wholly within that society. Economic systems and structures are transsocietal because of interdependency and interpenetration. Economy does not make society. Economists tend to believe that, though.

Note that the 'atom' of orlanthing society is that analytically constructed unit which best lets us understand and explain their society. It's not a concrete phenomena in Gloranthan reality. If the 'atom' is defined as an individual or a collective, it doesn't say whether orlanthing society is individualistic or collectivistic.

I'd say that the 'atom' of Orlanthing social structure is the smallest self-sufficient and self-contained social unit found in Orlanthing society. Hence, not the individual, but the hearth or stead might suffice, depending on how you choose to portray them.