RQ sight and Illumination

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:19:38 +0200 (MET DST)

The way I understand it RQ sight and Illumination is supposed to be two different things. They are supposed to be similar but not the same, right? Now, RQ sight managed to anoy 'cosmos' so much that it had to remove it. One wonders how long before it does the same to Illumination?

Now when the 'cosmos' wiped RQ sight from the face of Glorantha it involved killing a large number of people, changing how magic works and generally messing with people's minds.

This is exactly what happens when Argrath thrashes the Lunar Empire. In a long tradition of Gift Delivery Argrath and his pet dragons kill the most important people the Lunar Empire, screw up their magic by tearing down the moon and messes with people's memory (the illiteracy).This is probably not a new line of reasoning, but it just never occured to me before now. Just had to share my insight, I guess.

So much for Argrath being a lunar tool to trancend the Goddess. He was a tool all right, but not for the lunar way.

On Godlernerism and Witches:

Som people have been stirring the One True Glorantha and for that you earn my praise. Mr. Devlyn has set forward an interesting theory. I do not agree with everything you say. But the way people try to shout you down makes me support your effort wholeheartedly. Its been long since I've seen such dirty argumentation! Mentioning the fact that Mr Devlyn plays Rolemaster is not only irrelevant, its a cheap, dirty rethoric, trick. How about a couple of sponefulls of humility guys? And to be perfectly fair, Mr Devlyn's theory is, according to Occam's razor, better since it explains the darkness of shadow's dance, the rains of dragon pass and lack of color in Arolanit.

It is interesting to see that it is those who oppose the One True Glorantha the most that are in the forefront here. Becoming what you battle perhaps?

On subject of becoming what you battle there is the matter of Mr Ramos-Tavener's witches: Praxians being so dependent upon fighting chaos for their identity that they are chaotic. Interesting, heretical and very thought provoking! You spoke of a social theory of The Other. This might be Symbollic interactionism where your 'Me' is created by the reactions you get from others. You see yourself through others. The problem with this is that it would only be a difference of degree to other cultures, and you would end up with the conclusion that everything is chaotic. Illumination anyone? On a side note, anyone noticed how a chaotic taint is very much like ADD alignments. This too goes to 'what you are' and not what you do. But I guess it has to be ther to enable Urox to have his senses.

I'm sorry that this post contains more complaining than useful contributions to the list.

Frank Rafaelsen
Homo Ludens