Re: Bound Spirits

From: Eric D. Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:44:17 -0400

M.Cule:

> >But bound spirits are controlled by the binding enchantment...

Philip Hibbs:

> IIRC, they are controlled by the last person to have cast Control on the
> binding enchantment. I don't think you can just pick up a binding
> enchantment and control it without the spell. CMIIW.

I believe, at least in RQ3, that anyone can use a binding enchantment, and control any bound spirit without the spell, unless it was built with a limit (see ritual magic) prohibiting this. I personally allow anyone to give a single command a bound spirit without using the spell, after which the spirit is set free. To command it, but keep it bound, you need to cast the spell. A spirit in a binding can't resist.

If you have a problem with the sharing of magical resources, just insist that all enchantments be built with limits, and don't give out many living magic crystals.

Eric Hansen