re:Gawds and Theorems...

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:12:44 -0700

As a Math Geek, I simply have to point out the difference Theorems and Postulates.

A Theorem is subject to Proof, and a Postulate is a Logical starting pont accepted as true to provide a basis for proving Theorems.

I have always considered it a Postulate of Glorantha that the "big three" views of the supernatural are all equally valid. Much the same as "magic works." It's just the way it is.

Thus, in order to be valid, Glorantan metaphysics MUST be explainable in three ways:
Materialist\Mystic -- Brithini, Kralorelan, Mostali "It's the Law of the Universe."
Theist -- Orlanthi, Yelmic, etc "Because [my] God wants it that way!" Shamanic -- hsunchen, and um, well, hsunchen (aldrayami?)... "the Spirits did it"

The reason that Richards theorems are incorrect, is that they violate this postulate. You cannot claim that Worship of Gods causes all Storms, because then the Materialists would be hosed. Storms Happen Anyways -- Weather (ugh) it's because of Gods, Spirits, or Impersonal Forces depends upon the person Explaining them.

danm.

PS -- wouldn't "The GodLearner Secret" be a three word way to express the godlearner secret in English ;-)