Witchin' (but no more)

From: Mikael Raaterova <amr_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 02:20:11 +0200

Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <tavener_at_swbell.net>

>Simon, I offered this as a way to use Garangi in a campaign that did not
>raise the objections of Michael R. (didn't work though, see below)

Did i not say that i'm going to use garangi in my campaign? They make wonderful bogeymen! What i do have objections against is this:

>The situation I described works like this. An individual who has not
>previously detected as chaotic, after an accusation, suddenly does.

I deny that that situation will ever occur. I still won't buy the idea that non-chaotics can make someone else chaotic.

>When a Praxian tribe suffers some consuming defeat
>which triggers their collective anxiety and raises it to a fever pitch,
>then chaos must be involved.

Only because you have made the presence of chaos in *everything* praxian a condition of your statement.

>But the defeated usually hate themselves more
>than the victor. This self hatred is then channelled by the Khan onto a
>scapegoat, who then becomes Chaotic.
>The social power is the marshalled anxiety.
>The accusation is the magical act that channels the power.
>The connection with chaos is provided by the participation of Chaos in
>Praxian society.

I still maintain that there is a difference between praxians being *metaphorically* connected to chaos and *actually* connected to chaos. Chaos participates in praxian society in metaphor only.

>Mikael Raaterova replies to the extremely sillier (in his view, anyway)
>Option 2

I said 'even sillier'. 'Extremely' i reserve for ideas that reach the magnitude of silliness epitomized by Richard Develyn's 'theory'.

>it is not necessary to
>have the Chaos Rune in one's cult write-up in order to interact with chaos.

That's absolutely correct; *anyone* can get killed by a gorp or raped by broos. But to make someone chaotic you have to be chaotic yourself. You can, of course, make *yourself* chaotic without being chaotic. Which could happen if you, frinstance, invoke chaos in a ritual such as accusing someone of being a Garangi.

I've stated what i have objections against, and why. I see no need to continue repeating myself. So i'll say no more on this subject ('and there was much rejoicing').