Vendref vs Grazers

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:02:56 +0100

>> Who said they are digging up the best pastures? The Vendref
>> farm where the Grazers tell them to.
>
>In that case it's a wonder they harvest anything. What do horse riders
>know about where to farm?

Whenever there's a cohabitation between nomadic and sedentary cultures you get a problem, which the Grazers are acutely aware of. Because the Grazers are just as factionalised and fragmented between tribes as the saddest of Sartarite Orlanthi (or the digest membership :) ) can be, they jealously guard their own set of vendref. When the farmers started crossing into Grazelander territory they settled the land, and obviously would settle on good farming land, and LATER the Grazers subjected them to serfdom.

The problem is that while the Grazers get rich on the backs of the Vendref, the Vendref enclose the land which crimps the Grazers' nomadic lifestyle. So you have to make a compromise between the old ways (the solar faction) and the pragmatic diluting of nomadic lifestyle (the FHQ faction).

As for how far south they range, I'm unsure that the Grazers regularly travel into the Beastlands, let alone further south (although of course that's based in the 1600's, I don't know what they would have been like in the 1300's)