Second Age Geography

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:24:11 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Heortland is shown as part of the Jrusteli Empire according to the map
>in Uz Lore, but not Ralios:

>Well, as long as Arkat's Dark Empire existed, Heortland definitely was
>not part of the Jrusteli Empire. The cities of Jadnor, Lylket and Locsil
>had not yet been founded (or re-aligned).

The map is somewhat achronistic as it shows Arkat's Empire (which fell in 740 ST) yet we have the Kralori Empire as Jrusteli aligned and the New Kingdom of Wisdom (which didn't form until after 768 ST) and the Machine Ruins which didn't occur until after 917 ST. So we cannot draw unimpeachable conclusions from the map.

>If the author wanted to show where Arkat's Dark Empire was, he could
>have shaded that part of the Jrusteli Empire after the conquest.

That would give the impression that the Dark Empire were allied to the Jrusteli.

>Note that the marked territory is said to be an ally of the Empire.

Marked territories are said to be Jrusteli Empire or Allies. Since Orlanth is said never to have submitted to the God Learners (Players Book: Genertela p17), I think these people were oppressed rather than allies.

>We know that the people of Heortland were part of the besieging forces
>of the Machine wars rather than of the besieged forces.

We cannot be certain. The people of Dragon Pass still worshipped Orlanth at this late stage and they could have been the besiegers. Note that Gorings the Tap is said to have enslaved Bingista and another one. Perhaps these are the patron spirits of the enslaved Heortlings subjugated like the False Gods?

>Could it be that the map shows the situation before the conquest of
>Arkat's Dark Empire, and shows those lands as allies which allowed the
>Jrusteli traders access to their markets (and libraries)?

If so then Nochet would have to be shaded in for the God Learners had a school there.