Re: OOO despotism

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:39:50 EDT

> From: metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz (Peter Metcalfe)
> Subject: OOO despotism
>
> Joerg Baumgartner:
>
> >> All Heortlings (Hendriki included) fought against Nysalor. For their
> >> pains, they are made subjects of the trolls and have to pay a
> >> loathsome tax. Somehow I think Arkat has acted true to his nature
> >> and shafted his human supporters.
>
> >Quite a lot of Heortlings submitted to Palangio's rule when the Obsidian
> >Palace and the Hendriki in the mountains held out.

Submitted, hell. A lot of them were happy to assist, too. The ones who refused tended to beforced into becoming bandits in the hills, like Hendrik's original band, if they weren't wiped out, first. Eventually most of these bands re-form into the Hendriki tribe, whose resistance was rewarded by Arkat.

> And to punish the Heortlings for surrendering is like putting
> France under military occupation after the second world war
> for submitting to Hitler. Rather harsh, don't you think?

More like placing Eastern Europe under Russian control. Romania and Hungary were Axis allies, so they might have deserved it, but Poland? Maybe the Hendriki in this analogy are Yugoslavia, which didn't have Russian troops, but was considered to be in the Russian (OOO) Sphere of Influence.