Chalana Arroy Healers

From: s.lucek_at_ic.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 01 May 98 18:01:02 +0100

Chalana Arroy Healers

Martin Dick is wondering why there aren't a whole lot more of Chalana Arroy healers around.

If you chose to becoming a priestess of Chalana Arroy over other cults, you are loosing all the really spiffing magic that those other cults provide. Specifically Ernalda, who provides those fertility spells that stop people starving to death, and brings your family clan etc. wealth and prosperity, as well as some quite useful healing magic as well.

In terms of clan economics, choosing Ernalda over Chalana Arroy means the clan looses the chance of resurrecting a few, but this might be offset by having a higher population, which might translate to more wealth, power and strength, which might even mean fewer chances of dying in the first place.

I think a medieval analogy is closer than your modern one. After all, health care only became so important when we became rich enough not to worry about starving to death if the harvests fail. I wonder what GDP of developing countries is spent on health care today? I would imagine (though I have no idea) that it is nothing like 10%, and that is with the knowledge of how marvelous it is.

So I guess the equation for frequency of Healers is difficult enough for one to simply plump for the level that feels right for your game, and justify however you want.

Stephen Lucek.