Vendref and Grazers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 16:24:39 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

JB>>>about 70 years ago, i.e. in hardly any living memory.

Me>> But virtually contemporary in mythic terms. Even the Sartarites
>> feel the need to avenge a horse theft that took place 200 years ago.

>But the Grazers had mythically severed themselves from their former
>history.

No they haven't. This is your supposition, not supported by anything published to date. In particular, Arim the Pauper had relations among the Grazers.

>>>Not that the Pure
>>>Horse people had been dominant during the last centuries in Prax...

>> Still doesn't preclude them from knowing the value of helots.

>Only from having them, and from knowing how to treat them.

A mere 70 years!

>>>Not exactly. Joraz Kyrem split off from the Pure Horse tribe.

>> I doubt this. I think that he combined the leadership of the
>> Pure Horse Tribe, the Zebra Riders and the City of Pavis in
>> his hands.

>Then what's the point in creating the zebras if he kept the horses?

So he could partake in the rites of the Paps?

>> Furthermore no dissension with Joraz is noted when the
>> Zebras were created so I doubt that it was such a big deal.
>> After all the purity of the Pure Horse People is still intact.

>The cross-breeding left the purity undamaged? A strange concept.

The purity of the horses who were not cross-bred with zebras. Note that to create the cavalry Zebra, one needs a horse as cavalry zebras themselves are sterile. Ergo the Zebra tribe needs horses and the only supply of horses in Prax at the time is the Pure Horse People.

>>>Because these slaves dig up the very best pastures to do so.

>> Who said they are digging up the best pastures? The Vendref
>> farm where the Grazers tell them to.

>In that case it's a wonder they harvest anything. What do horse riders
>know about where to farm?

There is plenty of space in the Grazelands for the Horse People to take the best pastures for themselves and the Vendref to farm the second best material. They occupy a river valley and have a lower population than hilly Sartar of the same size.