Hendrikiland

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 17:52:57 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>>>IMO the Hendriki are the dominant, most populous tribe of Heortland
>>>(of the size of a tribal confederation), with the other three
>>>something of a relic.

Me>>Given that the land is ruled by Malkioni, why would they not have
>>an roughly equal division of tribes with the Volsaxi in the
>>Marzeel Valley,

>A Divination from Greg told me that neither Volsaxi (too recent) nor Kitori
>(too strange) were considered one of the "four large civilised tribes" of
>Heortland. This leaves the Hendriki as only named tribe in Genertela Book.

Which does not in of itself require them to be the largest tribe with the other three being 'relics'. We hardly know any of the tarshite clan and tribe names but it does not mean that we have to expand those we do know of into supertribes.

>>But (back to the point) there IMO should be only minor differences
>>between Orlanthi in Sartar and Heortland or (to a lesser extent)
>>Sartar and Tarsh. Claiming a novelty such as sub-clans seems to be
>>far too drastic for my tastes.

>Then how do you organize a single tribe with 100,000 or so members? In
>clans of 3,000 to 5,000 members?

Not unusual. Tarsh was a Tribe in Arim's Day and really only became a Kingdom in the days of Yarandros. I suspect the population in those days was between 100 000 to 200 000. Furthermore the Hendriki do not use traditional orlanthi methods to organize their tribes but rely on Malkioni methods of rule (ie instead of clan councils, you have a noble to tell people what to do).

>>>The Volsaxi tribes were formed as full tribal entities only when their
>>>tributary and suppressed status by the Kitori was lifted.

>>So why did they not form oversized clans like those you claim
>>for the Hendriki.

>Because they were closer to the Alakoringite tradition, and had the example
>of the Sartarites right by their side (even amidst their ranks).

But the neighbouring Sartarites came from Heortland and would have also formed the superclans, would they not?