Western view of Gods

From: Dougie Crawford <dougiepunk_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:26:43 +0100

Without wanting to get anywhere near the Devlyn debate, I would like to share my veiw on reconcilling Theist and mono/a thiest.

Maybe because I was brought up on RQ2, I always thought one of the most magical things about Glorantha was the omnipresence of the gods - their undeniable reality. This of course This of course creates difficulties in the West, particully with what seems to the current consensus on the Digest that the two systems of beleif are incompatable but equally valid. I'm sorry but I find this unsatisfactory - it works in the RW because no-one can really prove thaie point - but in Glorantha.

I have always thought that Westeners (Malkioni & Atheists) accepted the existence and even the power of the gods but did not think they were worth worshiping - they are after all simply creations of the Invisible God - the true creator. Thus an Orlanthi might point out that Orlanth is the god of the winds and King of the gods so should therefore be worshiped and the Westener would agree up to a point (the worshippeng part). That Orlanth is god of winds is simply part of the Invisibe God's divine plan and that he may be king of the gods (according to this heathen's dogma) is niether here nor there they are all ultimately just petty spirts and if they want to argue about who is on top of the dung hill, who cares.

That sorcerers can bypass these godlets and manipulate the underlying fabric of the universe shows that they are themselves as potentially powerful as the gods ergo no need to worship them. The only being worth worshiping (and Brithini et al don't even bother with this), is the Creator - the uber-god.

The theist OTOH considers sorcerers evil precicely because they do muck around with the fabric ie. the phisical laws of the universe a very dangerous thing to do - that even the gods are limited in since time.

BTW am I the only one to see similarities between the Invisible God and Arachne Solari.