Pavis and God Learners

From: John Murphy <talor_at_webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:32:00 -0400

Mike M's comments about Pavis (or any other mortal now God) brings up a good point and a question about worship supporting divinity. Now if it is true that people worship, heroquesting, shapes the form of interaction that people have with their Gods are people worshipping a civic spirt and sense of collective Identity that takes the form of Pavis, the great founder who emodies the character of the city or are they worshipping the spirit of Pavis himself? When I'm saying that worship shapes the personficaton of the Gods, I'm not saying that worship created Orlanth or the wind and storms. instead I'm saying that the way people worship Orlanth changes his personification as mortals see it. Thus everyting form they magic and supernatural effects they can create can change. Even more important the spirtual character of people can chage (As the Orlanthi have changed themselves through the Ages).
  When I first wrote this, it seemed obvious, but as I stated before average Gloranthans wouldn't know this, but people like the God Learners could manipulate this and make quick changes that normaly took generations to make or would never happen at all (like Tanian(sp)). Oher cultures and hereos have also done similar though not as drastic feats. However their must be some basics of nature that can not be and should not be changed and this eventually came back to wack the God Learners. I'm working on a short fiction piece that hopefully explain this in a much less rambling way and maybe even shed some light on the God Leaner Origins!

John