Heler.

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 12:57:20 -0400

Hi All,

 I am really inclined to agree with those people who suggest that Heler is an minor or insignificant god of the Mermen. It also depends on who you are talking about when you say 'mermen'. It should be remembered that there are more than one group of these creatures, and that they have a massive distribution across Glorantha's oceans.

  1. The Ludoch - These people have the closest relationship with humans. They may find Heler useful as a go between deity with human races. I like to think that they perceive rain as the union of storm and ocean, Heler sends forth his bounty to assist Magasta in filling the 'Void'. He is also the Father of Undines. However I do not think that they would worship Heler as a 'War God', what power of destruction does rain have when compared to the power of a tidal wave? I think Wachaza, Magasta and the local sea deity (eg Choralinthor) provide for the ludoch's military needs.
  2. The Malasp - These are the most commonly encountered 'enemy' merman. Heler is of no use to them against terrestial foes like humans. I cannot picture Terthinus the Deep, tyrant of the Dasthomo Sea using the power of rain to extort his tributes from the Umathelans and Fonritans. I think that Magasta reigns supreme amongst these people.
  3. The Ouori - The freezing waters of the Western and Banthe Oceans lead me to believe that these people do not have contact with the rain god. In fact if they did commune with a 'storm' god then it is more likely to be Valind, but I doubt this. I think gods like King Undine, Triolina and their founder Por Jans have most to offer these people. Heler may be viewed as the Father of Undines, but little else. Their isolation and timid nature does not suggest any warrior leanings.
  4. Zabdamar - Again the environment of these creatures in the Sea of Fog leads me to believe that Heler has no social position in their mythology. Iphara is their connection with the air.
  5. Dwerulan - These creatures barely hang onto the calim to be mermen at all. They worship primitive and slimey deities such as Swems and the Leech God. Yeeuch!
  6. Ysabbau & Gnydron - These dwellers of the deep worship great and hideous sea gods, such as Zaramaka Daliath and Magasta. What need have these of the feeble god of rain, who is entrapped in the sky.

 I have been working for sometime on the Rightarm Archipelago (with Duncan Rowlands and Martin Hawley). In our mythology Heler does appear as a god of the Pelaskans, but only a minor one. They too know that he is weak compared to the ocean gods, but thank him for the life giving water he brings to their islands. He is not venerated as a martial deity except amongst those who are to weak willed to worship the war gods of the ocean. However the unwarlike Pelaskans rarely invoke the sea gods, they are just too frightening! The Ludoch of Choralinthor Bay worship Magasta as the Father King , Wachaza as the Warrior, Triolina as the Mother Ocean, Choralinthor as the Provider and Diendimos as the Founder - If I remember correctly.

 I think that Heler had his greatest moment of martial prowess when he lead the invasion of Umathela, but Dave Dunham can tell you more about that than me.

Cheers Simon.