Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #591

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 12:23:39 +0100

Jane Williams :

>In a very few cases, Mundane Law and Mythic Law disagree. Mundane >Law
says that if you drop an apple, it falls. Mythic Law says "not if you
>cast the right spell on it". Mundane Law says "do what?". Mythic Law
>then starts arguing over whether you use Sorcery, Spirit Magic or
Divine
>Magic, and how those work in any case, but we still have a flying apple

>where Mundane Law says it should have hit the ground.

You are assuming that there is an underlying 'mundane law' reason why an apple should fall, which is independent of magical forces and principles. I would say that flying magic directly manipulates the fundamental foreces which cause the apple to fall. A terestrial iron nail can be manipulated using magnetic fields because it itself is magnetic. The natural pervasive magic which causes it to fall in the first place is of exactly the same nature as the magic of the spell which causes it to float.

Magic _is_ the gravity of glorantha, just as it is the earth of glorantha, the fire of glorantha and the light of glorantha.

Saying that magic and mundane law are opposed to each other in glorantha is like saying that quantum mechanics and relativity are opposed to each other in the real world. Both describe different phenomena and the behaviour of the world in different sets of circumstances. Neither is the whole truth, but they describe the same world from different perspectives. This is analogous to atheism, pantheism and mysicism in glorantha. Saying that the true nature of glorantha is actualy independent of and in opposition to these is a difficult possition for me to come to grips with.

Simon