The Invisible God is invisible

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 15:39:07 +0200

        I will write, if only to avoid an all Joerg's special again.

        Nick Brooke, with his usual eloquence, gives a refresher course on Malkioni metaphysics. Two small commentaries, however:

        Most Malkioni would not understand that explanation. Only knowledgeable Wizards, pious Lords and some cultivated Knights would appreciate it.

        And that leaves the whole henotheist cultures to explain vis a vis their gods.

        As for the False Gods, I always thought they were a GL propaganda tool, that remains among certain scholars as fact.

        Julian Lord (who is closer than I thought, both physically and in his positions) agrees with most of what I wrote. Considering the "heated" nature of part of my post, it is a pleasant surprise.

        DI in the West. Acts of God must be rare, if only to highlight the few times that happens (Hrestol's martyrdom comes to mind). I believe there are no living direct witnesses of Hrestol's death because all the brithini present converted inmediately, as did the old malkioni.

        What I feel that happens more often are saintly inspirations and miracles. So a warrior may ask St. Talor for help to overcome his fears, or a healer to St. Xemela to help a desperate case. It does not follow necessarily the Saint gifts, but the demand and the act shorld be tied to the Saint's life.

        Asking God directly is (IMO) sinful, as you doubt its omniscience and omnipotence, and have too much pride believing that your own troubles are important.

        So any westerner can ask for a kind of DI, but with reduced chance (referring to RQ DI rules, that I don't like anyway) of an answer, reduced cost (to become a devotee of the answering Saint, or one normal use of his/her gift), and less power than the standard theist DI.

        In this way St. Orland, the Storm Knight, can give DI to believers in his power, either theist, henotheist or tainted monotheist.

        As a former french resident, where in France are you living? I know some people and places to play.

        And if you have been to Santiago, you know God feels different in Spain. And I say that as an agnostic, with a religious education.

Jose Ramos

"Por su naturaleza subjetiva como por su naturaleza objetiva, la guerra se convierte en un juego" Karl von Clausewitz