Nature of Malkioni Saints

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:09:04 +1200 (NZST)

Jose Ramos:

NW>>My theory is that Malkioni saints are rather like
>>mahayana buddhist bodhisattvas

[grumble, grumble, grumble]

>This has the added advantage that in the RW some bodhisattvas have been
>worshipped as gods, something that happens in henotheist lands too.

This is not really an unique added advantage as Catholic Saints (who are most assuredly in Heaven the last time I looked - well save for those that don't exist) have sometimes been worshipped as gods as well.

Simon Hibbs:

>Malkioni saints remind me vaguely of the bodhisatva of Mahayana
>Buddhism, who chose not to enter nirvana in order to save others.

And the parallel is flawed because in Mahayana Buddhism, Buddhas (and others who have attained Nirvana) can help others. One can look at Wu Ch'eng-en's 'Monkey' or the buddhist cults in Land of Ninja for examples.