The Invisible God is invisible

From: Lord Julian <113661.3343_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 07:30:01 -0400

From: Julian Lord

Jose Ramos: =

>Asking God directly is (IMO) sinful, as you doubt its omniscience
>and omnipotence, and have too much pride believing that your own trouble=
>are important.

Not sure I agree with this one. One of God's (self-imposed?) limitations to his omnipotence is that people have free will. (This view might be heretical.) From this POV, if God knew that a prayer *will* take place, and a worshipper chose *not* to pray,
God would know rather that it *won't*.

Asking God directly is, then, an Act of Faith, and no sin.

IMO asking for help from God with pride is sinful, asking with humility isn't.

____Brithini cognitive functions__________________

>Does an apostate brithini (Arkat, for instance) get a soul "ipso facto",=

>even before age is felt?

IMHO an apostate brithini would only get a soul by heroquesting for one. Perhaps he would get one by joining a religion, but he'd at the very leas= t
have to do the long-form initiation solo (to use a Pendragonism) before =

getting one. Similarly for conversion to Malkionism, etc.

>As a former french resident, where in France are you living? =

>I know some people and places to play.

In Paris. Hey: Thanks!

        =

> you know God feels different in Spain. =

Yup.

Simon Hibbs: (much SNIPped)

>The predictions of terestrial physics fail to describe the conditions on=

>Glorantha, and so they cannot be applicable. =

You misunderstand me. I was suggesting that the scientific *approach*(es) would be similar to RW ones. Perhaps not the 20th century RW, admittedly. Gloranthan reality is of course radically different.

Also terrestrial physics *could* describe gloranthan =

physics, if physicists could travel there, or find some method of measuring Glorantha. Lots of long and hard work for the scientists involved in such a project, though.

>Gravity acts perpendicularly to the world's surface, regardless =

>of your location on it.You might be able to explain this effect, =

>however a stable planetary orbit in a uniform parallel field is =

>impossible, so gloranthan celestial mechanics contradicts =

>universal gravitation.

Um, what about the Sun? Yelm has, I believe, a stable orbit?

Gloranthan physical objects have weight and fall down. =

Therefore, they have gravity. (Mind you, Newton's work did partially change the meaning of this word ...)

>ME>The Law of Universal Attraction, maybe?

SH>_A_ law, or perhaps principle, of attraction maybe, but not newton's.

Your quibble is sustained, but I think my point was valid. RW science and theory IS applicable.

>ME>Scientific apparatus is a set of mechanical devices
>>which would work perfectly well in Glorantha.

SH>All I can say is that I disagree. Gloranthans witness events every day=

>which contradict the known laws of terestrial physics.

Hmm. OK, they *would* function, but the results you'd get from many of them would in fact be gibberish. I disagree with your estimate of 99.9% though.

>ME>Perhaps, Simon, you are confusing gods with Divinity Itself.
>>Divinity exists before, beyond and within all gods and mortals.

SH>I don't think so. You are directly contradicting your stated possition=

>that belief creates the gods. (etc.) =

Not true. =

Belief doesn't create Divinity, 'cos its already there. A god, however, only encompasses a portion of Divinity, not all of it. (Except for the Invisible God, who does.) Following a cult shapes belief into a god who gives a =

pathway to universal Divinity. The God Plane then sustains the independant existence of the god. Mucho heroquesting necessary.

> there is a process of interaction between humanity
>and divinity which we call religion.

Is religion, then, a branch of chemistry?