Hrestol's martyrdom

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 15:34:27 +0200

Bill Thomson says mainly sensible things that I agree with.

I also think there was a division between the Old Malkioni and the New. But hrestolism did not catch up as a religion (and Hrestol became widely known) until his bodily ascension confirmed the righteousness of Hrestol's Joy of the Heart.

Before his death the only followers he had were the few knights he had instaured in Seshnela. He did not set up to become a religious model, his life did. So his death (for caste crime) and glorification swept the malkioni, and many brithini with them. I think it is better to keep the actual ascension in doubt, and to suppose that a vision able to shatter malkionism for ever could move the stone hearts of the brithini.

As to my sources, the guide to Sog city and the fragments mentioned in the Digest of Hrestol's saga (Joerg I think, some of them in private mails) were inspiring, but most ideas were mine. A man who is working as a judge among the Vadeli would have trouble finding the time to be a charismatic religious leader.

I interpret some miracles differently. Despite malkioni fragmentation, all the sects but the brithini and the god forgoti have Hrestol in a place almost as important as Malkion. So Joy of the Heart went uncontested by anyone in the West. And that's the greatness of Hrestol.

        That is different from saintly miracles, that usually are subtle and difficult to prove.

Jose