Re: Malkioni saints

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:55:35 +0200

Me:

> NW>>My theory is that Malkioni saints are rather like
> >>mahayana buddhist bodhisattvas

Peter:

> [grumble, grumble, grumble]

He he, an old bone of contention dug up again...

Simon Hibbs:

> >Malkioni saints remind me vaguely of the bodhisatva of Mahayana
> >Buddhism, who chose not to enter nirvana in order to save others.

Peter:

> And the parallel is flawed because in Mahayana Buddhism, Buddhas
> (and others who have attained Nirvana) can help others.

Parallells are rarely perfect, especially RW ones, but this one is not so bad. Mahayana buddhas, except Siddharta Gautama, are old indian and chinese deities fit into the buddhist cosmology, while bodhisattvas are saintly humans.

But, looking at Glorantha there are exceptions from the model suggested here: Malkion and Hrestol are saints who give belssings and they are _in_ Solace.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/